History of Hobart
Hobart Brothers is a company with a rich and diverse history. It was incorporated in 1917 by Charles Clarence (C.C.) Hobart, along with his wife, Lou Ella, and their three sons, Edward, Charles and William.
The company began its manufacturing endeavors with a variety of products including generators (Dynamos), metal office furniture and air compressors. In 1925, it produced its first welder, which started Hobart Brothers on the path to becoming a preeminent company in the welding industry. It also became a prominent supporter of welding education with the establishment of the Hobart Institute of Welding Technology in 1930. The school became a separate non-profit entity in 1940 and has since trained more than 90,000 welders.
In 1937, Hobart Brothers turned to the production of stick electrodes and shortly thereafter, began serving an active role in manufacturing for World War II. It produced more than 100,000 welders and approximately 45,000 generators to support the war effort, and received the Army/Navy E Award for excellence for its contribution.
In the mid-1940s, Hobart Brothers launched what is now known as Hobart Ground Power after being approached by American Airlines to design a generator specifically to start large aircraft engines.
By 1958, Hobart Brothers turned to the manufacturing of solid wires and then to the development and production of tubular wires in the mid-1960s – both under the Hobart® brand.
Hobart Brothers purchased Tri-Mark® and Corex® in 1986, adding metal-cored wire development to its capabilities. The acquisition of McKay® in 1993 provided hard surfacing and stainless steel filler metal options and the addition of MAXAL in 2011 allowed the company to offer aluminum filler metals.
Hobart Brothers was family-owned and operated until its acquisition by Illinois Tool Works (ITW) in 1996. ITW is a multinational manufacturer of a diversified range of value-adding and short-lead-time industrial products and equipment, and is also the parent company of Miller Electric Mfg. Co., Bernard, Tregaskiss and Jetline.
In May 2013, the company consolidated all of its brands under a single Hobart® brand in order to simplify its filler metal offering and provide a full product line to distributors and end users. The Hobart brand signifies collaboration, innovation and expertise, and is a recognized leader in the industry.
Today, Hobart Brothers continues to develop and manufacture Hobart® tubular wires (metal-cored and flux-cored), solid wires and stick electrodes for distribution across the globe. Each of the products has been carefully formulated to offer the highest quality results, improve productivity for end users and help reduce operation costs.